Tuesday 3 May 2011

Examining the Envelopes (I)

Right, there. I've got some free time. Now, the envelopes. Thinking cap goes on.

Envelope I

The symbol in place of the postage stamp. I couldn't find it; I'll need some help finding out what it is, and what it means. If, indeed, it has any meaning at all.

"Sincerely". My first thought when I saw it, after my dismissal, was that it was a mistake. After all, such things are meant to go in your letter, are they not? However, a quick glance at my dictionary pointed out that it normally means "free of deceit, hypocrisy, or falseness; earnest". If this is, indeed, meaningful, we can therefore conclude that this mailer may be saying that the contents are the truth. Interesting.

"Epic". Again, I can only appeal to the dictionary's definition, which is "heroic, majestic, impressively great". I am unsure as to what this is meant to mean. Given the reverse of the page, perhaps we can glean... I'll raise the point again in my next paragraph.

I googled the first line of the poem. It is, in fact, an extract from Robert Frost's (whoever he is) poem "Acquainted with the Night". It sounds vaguely meaningful, but I struggle to care. However, I do note the use of "I" - a personal pronoun, aye? Perhaps, then we can conclude that the outside of the paper may refer to the person who sent the envelope? Hence, in this case "epic" makes a lot more sense. They paint themselves as heroic, majestic and impressively great, perhaps for their deeds in the city. What stupid nonsense; I've outwalked city lights.

"Eunoia I". At first, I figured this may be an anagram; however, or another use of personal pronouns. Given "Aporia II", however, this is unlikely. Thus, we can conclude "I" is a Roman numeral. Simple enough. "Eunoia" is a word my dictionary does not have, so I consult an online dictionary. Which also does not have it! So, I googled it. It is rarely used to indicate good medical health, and it also says something wishy-washy about building goodwill in rhetoric. 

The circle-with-a-line-through-it. Again, I have nothing. No real meanings there.

God, I'm fed up with doing this crap after one damn envelope. I'll do the other one after I, y'know, do something meaningful.

1 comment:

  1. Those who feel epic and acquainted with the night? Who pride themselves on being free of deceit?

    Hmm. Them that ask no questions cannot tell a lie.

    ReplyDelete